A person with suicidal thoughts will think about taking their own life. In the medical world, there is no generally recognized definition of the term “suicidal ideation.” So what does suicidal ideation mean? Some individuals believe that suicidal ideation entails actively planning suicide, although suicidal ideation would not always imply that a person intends to take his or her own life.
Others, however, see planning a suicide as a distinct entity and claim that suicidal ideation and thoughts are the same. Suicidal ideation is prevalent. In the year 2020, 12.2 million Americans reported having serious suicidal thoughts. Approximately 10 percent had attempted suicide. With assistance and treatment, however, suicide can be prevented.
This article explores suicidal thoughts, including their signs, causes, susceptible groups, and predisposing factors for suicidal ideation.
- What is suicidal ideation? Verywell Mind. Available at: https://www.verywellmind.com/suicidal-ideation-380609.
- Suicide and suicidal thoughts (2022) Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/suicide/symptoms-causes/syc-20378048.
- Suicide ideation: Symptoms, causes, prevention, and resources. Medical News Today. MediLexicon International. Available at: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/193026#getting-help.
- What are suicidal feelings? Mind. Available at: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/suicidal-feelings/about-suicidal-feelings.
- Suicidal ideation (2022) Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicidal_ideation.
A UNIQUE METHODa successful and proven concept focusing on underlying causes
Send Admission Request
Define Treatment Goals
Assessments & Detox
Psychological & Holistic Therapy
Mental Health Insightslatest news & research on Mental Health
Adrenaline junkies are a unique breed of thrill-seekers who crave the rush of adrenaline that comes from high-risk activities such as skydiving, bungee jumping, and extreme sportsread more
Somatic delusions are a form of mental illness that affects a person's ability to perceive their own body accurately.read more
Empty Nest Syndrome
Empty nest syndrome is the feeling of sadness, loneliness, or grief parents experience when their children leave home for the first timeread more
Thought blocking is a sudden interruption in the flow of thoughts, which can occur during conversations or when trying to express oneselfread more